myWorld Social Studies
5th Grade Homeschool Social Studies
The myWorld Social Studies curriculum for homeschooling takes a unique approach to Social Studies education. Rather than guide your child through the subject with dates and bullet points, the curriculum uses storytelling techniques to keep your child engaged. Additionally, myWorld Social Studies was developed using the latest in educational research.
The goal of the curriculum is to help your child learn to love Social Studies and the topics that go with it. Through the lessons you create, your child will come to understand history, government, geography and citizenship. myWorld Social Studies will help your child develop into an active and responsible citizen.
Grade 5 of myWorld Social Studies is broken up into two parts: A and B. The second part can be completed during the same year as 5A or during your child’s next level of curriculum. Your child will have a solid foundation by the end of the myWorld Social Studies: Grade 5A program and you can move on when appropriate with your schedule. In fact, once you reach the end of the curriculum, your child should be able to:
- Use a classic essay format (which includes an introduction, body paragraphs and a conclusion) to write papers on Social Studies topics.
- Read historical fiction in conjunction with nonfiction texts in order to gain a deeper and more personal understanding of important events.
- Read first-hand accounts of people who lived during periods that you study.
- Write accurate timelines of major historic events.
- Identify causes of the American Revolution and Civil War, as well as important battles that took place during both.
- Pinpoint the locations of major events.
- Create a map of the U.S. expansion as it occurred over time.
- Discuss current events.
With this knowledge in hand, your child will be ready to move onto the next stage of myWorld Social Studies. Grade 5A provides a deeper look into the topics surrounding Social Studies using a variety of helpful materials. For more information on what specifically is included in the program, visit the Features and Benefits page.